Jayateerth Mevundi hails from the land of great vocalists and maestros of Hindustani Classical Music, like Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Dr. (Mrs.) Gangubai Hangal, Pt. Mallikarjun Mansur, Pt. Basavaraj Rajguru and Pt. Kumar Gandharva and so on. Born in the year 1972, Jayateerth, according to many connoisseurs and critics of Hindustani Classical Music, is considered to be a torchbearer of Kirana Gharana.
Jayateerth received his initial training in music under the tutelage of Sangeet Ratna Late Pt. Arjunsa Nakod of Gwalior Gharana for about 10 years. Since the year 1994 onwards, he received training under Pt. Shripati Padegar who was a disciple of great vocalist of this country, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi of Kirana Gharana about 14 years.
Awards and Recognition:
Jayateerth has participated in several music conferences including the ones at Mysore Dasara Festival, Sawal Gandharwa Music Festival at Pune, as well as Alladia Khan Music Conference, Kumar Gandharwa Music Conference, Hari Vallabha Conference at Jalandhar, Tansen Samaroh at Gwalior, Gunidas Sangeet Sammelan at Delhi and many more… Also he received many accolades at the 20th Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Smruti, Samrat Sangeet Sammelan, Goa.
- He is a recipient of "Pt. Jasraj Gourav Puraskar" for the year 1995.
- Mewati Gharana Sangeet Gourav Puraskar-2000.
- Shanmukananda Sangeet Shiromani Award-2003.
- Young maestro Award-2006(by the Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam, Former president of India)
- Aditya Vikramaditya Birla Kalakiran Puraskar-2009 (by the Govn. Of Maharashtra Shri S.C.Jamir)
- Pt. Bhimsen joshi swara bhaskar puraskar.
- Pt. Basavraj rajguru puraskar by karanataka govt.
- Pula Deshpande Tarunayi Samman.